By Ghulam Mohiyuddin, New Age Islam
31 March 2022
Modern-day Muslims do not accept the wall that has been created between Islam and modernity. They are in favour of incorporating into Islam the best liberal and fact-based trends in modern thinking. While not all progressive Muslims accept all of the progressive ideas that have been proposed in recent decades, certain trends seem to be gaining more and more acceptance. It may be opportune to identify such trends and seek feedback from others who have been engaged in similar introspection.
The following is a simplified listing of the principles that many may consider the appropriate components of Progressive Islam. Some of these principles may seem to some to be contrary to our usual teachings but they are, in my view, consistent with the true spirit of Islam.
(1) Islam promotes the brotherhood of man and the development of humane and caring societies. It encourages individuals to be kind, loving, and respectful to others.
(2) Islam lets us think for ourselves.
(3) Islam is based on rationality and common sense.
(4) Islam emphasizes righteousness, justice, and compassion. It rejects cruel and unusual punishments.
(5) Islam supports gender equality.
(6) Islam supports a pluralistic society and respects the religions and sects of others.
(7) Islam rejects obscurantism, supremacism, racism, and casteism. It considers concepts such as 'jihad' and 'Kafir' to be obsolete.
(8) Islam believes in peace and nonviolence.
(9) Islam favours democratic and secular governments, favours the separation of state and religion, promotes human rights, individual freedoms, freedom of speech, and freedom of the press. It rejects all blasphemy laws.
(10) Islam cherishes education and science. Boys and girls have equal rights to quality education.
(11) Progressive Islam considers the above principles to be consistent with the true spirit of the Quran and the Sunnah.
While some people may disagree with some of the above principles, it would be good to see them as suitable subjects for future discourse.
Ghulam Mohiyuddin is a retired psychiatrist.
New Age Islam, Islam Online, Islamic Website, African Muslim News, Arab World News, South Asia News, Indian Muslim News, World Muslim News, Women in Islam, Islamic Feminism, Arab Women, Women In Arab, Islamophobia in America, Muslim Women in West, Islam Women and Feminism