By Susmita Baral
Jun 27 2014
The Islamic month-long observance Ramadan, which falls on the ninth month of the Islamic calendar, will be taking place from June 28 to July 28 this year. During the observance, Muslims around the world will abstain from drinking, smoking, eating, and engaging in sexual intercourse. Ramadan, which aims to purify the soul and bring the individual fasting closer to God, was first observed in 610 CE. During the month, many Muslims read the entire Qur'an in instalments. The last day of the fast is an important holiday for Muslims called Eid-al-Fitr, which is a celebration of the end of Ramadan. The Arabic greeting that is said to commemorate the holiday is "Eid Mubarak" which translates to "Blessed Eid."
Current estimates suggest that one-fourth of the world's population is Muslim (roughly 2.6 billion) and new reports have found that many Hispanics are converting to the faith. Consider this: BBC reports that the U.S. Census finds that Latino Muslims number between 100,000 and 200,000. What's more, CNN reports that a 2011 survey by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life found that 2.75 million Muslims live in the United States and in 2008; four percent of America's Muslims identified themselves as Latinos.
Here are 10 Ramadan quotes from the Qur'an:
1. "O you who have believed, decreed upon you is fasting as it was decreed upon those before you that you may become righteous -" -- Surat Al-Baquarah 2:183
2. "...But to fast is best for you, if you only knew." -- Surat Al-Baquarah 2:184
3. "The month of Ramadhan [is that] in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for the people and clear proofs of guidance and criterion. So whoever sights [the new moon of] the month, let him fast it; and whoever is ill or on a journey - then an equal number of other days. Allah intends for you ease and does not intend for you hardship and [wants] for you to complete the period and to glorify Allah for that [to] which He has guided you; and perhaps you will be grateful." -- Surat Al-Baquarah 2:185
4. "...And eat and drink until the white thread of dawn becomes distinct to you from the black thread [of night]. Then complete the fast until the sunset..." -- Surat Al-Baquarah 2:187
6. "Indeed, the Muslim men and Muslim women, the believing men and believing women, the obedient men and obedient women, the truthful men and truthful women, the patient men and patient women, the humble men and humble women, the charitable men and charitable women, the fasting men and fasting women, the men who guard their private parts and the women who do so, and the men who remember Allah often and the women who do so - for them Allah has prepared forgiveness and a great reward." -- Surat Al-Ahzab 33:35
7. "Allah is with those who restrain themselves." -- Quran 16: 128
8. "Allah has made Laylat al-Quadr in this month, which is better than a thousand months, as Allah says...The Night of Al-Qadri is better than a thousand months. Therein descend the angels and the Rooh [Jibrael (Gabriel)] by Allah’s Permission with all Decrees, there is peace until the appearance of dawn." -- al-Quadar 97:1-5
9. "O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that ye may (learn) self-restraint." -- Al-Baquarah, 2:183
10. "(Fasting) for a fixed number of days; but if any of you is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed number (Should be made up) from days later. For those who can do it (With hardship), is a ransom, the feeding of one that is indigent. But he that will give more, of his own free will,- it is better for him. And it is better for you that ye fast, if ye only knew" -- al-Baquarah, 2:184
Susmita Baral joined Latin Times in April 2013. Her work has been published in Weight Watchers Magazine, Unique Homes Magazine, US Airways Magazine, Vista Magazine, Daily Glow and Kaplan. She holds a B.A. Psychology from Rutgers University. A self-proclaimed foodie, Susmita is a freelance list maker, part-time Shaq devotee, and a full-time eyeliner junkie who believes mac and cheese is a birthright.