Condemning "Islamist" terrorist attack on Mumbai in harshest terms
PM PROMISES TO GO ALL OUT AGAINST TERROR
New Delhi, Nov 27: Even as the siege of India’s financial capital continued, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh delivered his strongest message yet about his government’s intention to crack down on the enemies of India.
Addressing the nation on the morbid occasion he sought to give an impression of the government and security agencies being in control of the situation. While condemning the assault in most severe terms, he assured Indian citizens that all possible measures would be taken against the perpetrators of this outrage.
Hinting for the first time that India might be contemplating hot pursuit, the Prime Minister said that his government “will go after perpetrators” of the attacks all the way.
On the issue of more stringent laws, a demand that has been raised time and again especially by the opposition, the PM said current laws will be tightened as per the need. The PM said that National Security Act would be enforced so that the terrorists cannot escape.
He also addressed another long standing demand of setting up a Federal Agency to tackle terror saying that such an organisation would be established. He also said police reforms would be initiated.
“We cannot countenance a situation in which the safety and security of our citizens can be violated with such impunity,” he said firmly.
Sending out a clear signal that the government believed this strike to be the handiwork of foreign nationals, the Prime Minister warned neighbours that they would not be allowed to use their territory for anti-India activities. He also promised to take up the issue with the highest authorities of such countries, promising that there would be a cost if suitable measures are not taken by them.
"It is evident that the group which carried out these attacks, based outside the country, had come with the single-minded determination to create havoc in the commercial capital of the country."
He said the "well-planned and well-orchestrated attacks, probably with external linkages, were intended to create a sense of panic by choosing high profile targets and indiscriminately killing foreigners."
The PM also promised to bring in a tighter visa regime saying no suspicious element will be allowed to set foot into the country.
He also ‘saluted’ and condoled the death of those killed in action so far, including ATS chief Hemant Karkare. The PM said that the government would compensate those killed and injured in the attack and would bear the full medical expenses of their treatment.
The grave looking PM concluded by calling on all citizens to remain united and maintain peace and harmony in this trying time.
TEXT - Prime Minister's statement on Mumbai attack
Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:13pm IST
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said on Thursday that the attacks in Mumbai which killed more than 100 people were probably plotted by a group based in a neighbouring country.
Following is a text of his televised address:
"The dastardly terror attacks that took place in Mumbai last night and today leading to the loss of many precious lives and injuries to many others have deeply shocked the nation.
"I strongly condemn these acts of senseless violence against innocent people, including guests from foreign countries.
"I offer my deepest condolences to the bereaved families and sympathies to those injured. The Government will take all necessary measures to look after the wellbeing of the affected families, including medical treatment of injured.
"The well-planned and well-orchestrated attacks, probably with external linkages, were intended to create a sense of panic, by choosing high profile targets and indiscriminately killing foreigners.
"I salute the courage and patriotism of the police officers, including the Chief of the Anti-Terror Squad, Shri (Mr.) Hemant Karkare and men who have laid down their lives in fighting these terrorists.
"I assure the country that we will attend in an urgent and serious manner to police reform so that the law and order authorities can work unitedly, effectively and in a determined manner to tackle such threats to national integrity.
"We are not prepared to countenance a situation in which the safety and security of our citizens can be violated with impunity by terrorists.
"It is evident that the group which carried out these attacks, based outside the country, had come with single-minded determination to create havoc in the commercial capital of the country.
"We will take the strongest possible measures to ensure that there is no repetition of such terrorist acts. We are determined to take whatever measures are necessary to ensure the safety and security of our citizens.
"Instruments like the National Security Act will be employed to deal with situations of this kind. Existing laws will be tightened to ensure that there are no loopholes available to terrorists to escape the clutches of the law.
"Most importantly, it is essential to immediately set up a Federal Investigation Agency to go into terrorist crimes of this kind and ensure that the guilty are brought to book.
"We will take up strongly with our neighbours that the use of their territory for launching attacks on us will not be tolerated, and that there would be a cost if suitable measures are not taken by them.
"We will take a number of measures to strengthen the hands of our police and intelligence authorities. We will curb the flow of funds to suspect organisations. We will restrict the entry of suspects into the country.
"We will go after these individuals and organisations and make sure that every perpetrator, organiser and supporter of terror, whatever his affiliation or religion may be, pays a heavy price for these cowardly and horrific acts against our people.
"In this hour of tragedy, I appeal to the people to maintain peace and harmony so that the enemies of our country do not succeed in their nefarious designs. All concerned authorities are on alert and will deal sternly with any attempts to disturb public order.
"I am confident that the people of India will rise unitedly to face this grave challenge to the nation's security and integrity.
World leaders condemn Mumbai terror strikes
November 27th, 2008 - 3:03 pm ICT by ANI
Washington/London/Moscow/Chicago, Nov.27 (ANI): There has been widespread international condemnation of the series of shootings across Mumbai in which at least 80 people have been killed and many more injured. Following are some of the statements issued by heads of state, government and leaders, as reported by the BBC.
“These outrageous attacks in Mumbai will be met with a vigorous response. I have sent a message to [Indian] Prime Minister [Manmohan] Singh that the UK stands solidly with his government as they respond, and to offer all necessary help. Urgent action is underway to offer every possible protection to British citizens in the region,” said British Prime Minister Gordon Brown.
White House Press Secretary Dana Perino said: “President Bush offers his condolences to the Indian people and the families of the innocent civilians killed and injured in the attacks in Mumbai, India. The United States condemns this terrorist attack and we will continue to stand with the people of India in this time of tragedy. This afternoon, the White House National Security Council convened officials from counter-terrorism and intelligence agencies as well as the state and defence Departments.The US government continues to monitor the situation, including the safety and security of our citizens, and stands ready to assist and support the Indian government.
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, who is due to visit India early next month said: “We are concerned about the loss of life and consider that acts of terrorism of this type are harmful to the whole international order and are a challenge to humanity.”
A spokesman for UN Secretary General Ban ki Moon, said: “The secretary general condemns the rash of shootings and blasts in Mumbai today, which killed and wounded a large number of people. Such violence is totally unacceptable. The secretary general reiterates his conviction that no cause or grievance can justify indiscriminate attacks against civilians. He calls for the perpetrators to be brought to justice swiftly.[He] sends his deepest sympathies to the families of the victims and the wounded and expresses his solidarity with the people and government of India.
The office of the Pakistan Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani said: “Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani, while strongly condemning the incidents of violence in Mumbai, has expressed deep sorrow over the loss of precious lives.”
Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said: “Whichever group has perpetrated this attack, they are cowards, absolute cowards, and murderers.This cowardly attack on India’’s stability, peace and democracy reminds us all that international terrorism is far from defeated, and that we must all maintain our vigilance.”
Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso said: “This kind of terrorism is unforgivable, extremely despicable and vicious. I feel strong resentment and deeply condemn it.Japan is with the Indian people who are fighting against terrorism and we will cooperate with the Indian government.” (ANI)